A Mommy Makeover is a customized treatment plan that consists of procedures designed to reverse the effects of pregnancy on the body. Having a baby can be the most exciting and happy time in a person’s life, but it can also bring a few unexpected changes to the body that cannot always be addressed by diet and exercise alone. This means no matter how many sit-ups are performed, the abdomen cannot be tightened back to its original shape. A traditional Mommy Makeover involves some combination of a breast lift, breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and liposuction. Great moms can enjoy great levels of confidence too, and board-certified plastic surgeon Eric Payne, MD along with his experienced medical team can help guide you on the path towards a brand new you!
- What is a Mommy Makeover?
- Mommy Makeover Candidates
- Mommy Makeover Options
- Mommy Makeover Preparation
- Mommy Makeover Recovery
- Mommy Makeover Cost
What Is a Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover refers to a combination of cosmetic surgeries and/or non-surgical procedures that are personalized to achieve multiple aesthetic goals at once. This all-encompassing treatment plan is typically popular among individuals who have had children, as the physical changes caused by pregnancy and nursing often affect several areas of the body in ways that cannot be reversed with dieting and exercise alone. With this in mind, a Mommy Makeover can be performed to restore one’s pre-baby figure. A Mommy Makeover plan distinguishes itself from other cosmetic treatments because it involves a series of procedures chosen according to your own needs, wishes, and goals; therefore, each patient’s Mommy Makeover is completely unique.
Am I a Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
Despite the name “Mommy Makeover,” this treatment plan can certainly be developed for women who have not had kids and simply wish to improve multiple areas at once. For example, any patient who has experienced extreme weight loss, or who has noticed changes in their body due to aging, may benefit from a Mommy Makeover. In general, good candidates for a Mommy Makeover are:
- Looking to pursue more than one cosmetic procedure
- In good health, with no uncontrolled medical conditions
- Willing and able to withstand the recovery period
- Able to maintain realistic expectations for the results
Dr. Payne will ask you about your concerns, goals, and medical history during your consultation. He will explain the different aspects of a Mommy Makeover, including its benefits, risks, and limitations, and answer any questions you may have about the procedure or his credentials. After confirming your wishes to move ahead with a Mommy Makeover, Dr. Payne will work with you to develop a custom treatment plan designed to achieve your desired outcome.
What Are My Mommy Makeover Treatment Options?
Procedures that are typically incorporated into a Mommy Makeover aim to improve the breasts, abdomen, and body contours. Our treatment options include:
- Breast Lift and/or Breast Augmentation: After pregnancy and breastfeeding, the breasts can begin to lose their shape and fullness. For some women, this can cause the breasts to look flat, stretched, or pendulous. To restore a more youthful appearance, a breast lift (mastopexy) can be performed with or without the placement of breast implants to add volume.
- Tummy Tuck: During pregnancy, the belly typically stretches and causes a loosening/weakening of the abdominal muscles. This can lead to abdominal muscle separation—also known as rectus diastasis. Unfortunately, rectus diastasis cannot be corrected with core muscle strengthening or sit-ups. Abdominoplasty, on the other hand, can correct a weakening abdominal wall by tightening musculature and bringing it closer to the midline. The result can be a flattening of the abdomen, along with a slimmer waistline. Loose or hanging skin can also be addressed with a tummy tuck.
- Liposuction: Excess fat accumulation in the upper arms, thighs, abdomen, waist, and back is also a common effect of pregnancy. Liposuction can reduce fatty deposits and smooth bulges to achieve a slimmer, more contoured figure. It can be performed on the abdomen and sides, as well as other problem areas—often at the same time as abdominoplasty if desired.
Other non-surgical rejuvenation treatments, such as BOTOX® Cosmetic and facial fillers, are also commonly included in a Mommy Makeover to erase signs of age and exhaustion, and refresh your facial appearance after the stressors of pregnancy and childbirth.
Considerations Before Your Mommy Makeover
A Mommy Makeover can be performed in one surgery or broken up into two operations. By doing the surgeries in two separate stages, the risks involved with prolonged anesthesia can be reduced. It’s also recommended that patients undergo abdominoplasty with liposuction first, followed by a breast lift and/or augmentation. If the surgeries are combined, an overnight stay in the hospital is typically required. If the surgeries are performed in stages, you may be discharged home with a follow-up appointment in the office the following morning.
What Is Recovery From a Mommy Makeover Like?
The recovery period will vary from patient to patient depending on the types of procedures performed. Abdominoplasty and breast surgeries can be fairly invasive and often require relatively longer recovery times when compared to liposuction. Most individuals take two to three weeks off work to allow plenty of time to heal before returning to their daily routines. Dr. Payne will let you know what you can expect with regard to your personalized Mommy Makeover so you can make the appropriate arrangements for work, childcare, and other household duties. Exercise and strenuous activity should generally be avoided for at least four to six weeks, or according to the timeframe advised by Dr. Payne.
How Much Does a Mommy Makeover Cost?
Mommy Makeover costs in Houston typically start at $12,000, depending on the details of your treatment plan. There are many factors that can influence the price of your Mommy Makeover, including:
- The procedures chosen for your Mommy Makeover
- The surgical techniques utilized
- Whether breast implants were placed
- The overall complexity of your treatment plan
With a surgical plan that involves such a personalized series of procedures, an accurate cost estimate cannot be made until your needs and goals are assessed in a consultation. Dr. Payne and our patient care coordinator would be happy to give you a personalized quote when you visit our practice. While a Mommy Makeover doesn’t typically qualify for insurance coverage, financing options provided by CareCredit® can be a useful way for qualified patients to pursue their procedure right away while making costs more manageable.
Dr. Eric Payne can guide you through the process of deciding the best options for your Mommy Makeover. Our team is happy to answer any questions you may have, so please contact our Houston-area practice to speak to a member of our office or to schedule a consultation.